Photobucket

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Prom - my book review

PromProm by Laurie Halse Anderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Truthfully, I can't think of much to say about this book, so here are a few dot-points instead:

I liked:
• the characters. Ashley made a very interesting protagonist, if a little unpredictable.
• the storyline. I have yet heard of a book also revolving around a prom.
• the witty satire. Laurie Halse Anderson has an excellent sense of humour, and never fails to make me laugh.
• the lack of exaggerated romance. It was refreshing to learn about Ashley and TJ's (troubled) relationship. It's hard to come across a young-adult novel that illustrates such a one-sided relationship so well, but at the same time, makes the experience of following the couple light-hearted and nonchalant.

I disliked:
• how Prom was not as in-depth as I had hoped. Personally, I think the author should stick with more pressing matters (like in Wintergirls and Speak). She has a great talent of getting serious issues across while keeping us, the readers, entertained.

To sum up, this is not the best book that I've read by Laurie Halse Anderson. But it's not the worst. If you're looking for a breezy book to read (particularly if you've got a prom coming up), this book is worth a try.

View all my reviews


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...