Photobucket

Wednesday 1 June 2011

The Hunger Games - my book review

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Let's jut begin by saying that this book is mindblowing (as well as the events in the plot). I'm constantly searching for 'unique' books that offer a totally original plot... and this hits the bulls-eye.



So basically this book (it was so utterly amazing that it changed my opinions on the world, by the way) is about Katniss Everdeen, a teen girl living in a dystopian world far off into the future. The only problem is that she lives in the poorest part of her country, Panem. The problem is that her father died from a mine explosion. The problem is that she must take care of her family and feed them. Once a year each District in the nation must randomly choose a boy and a girl to compete in the ruthless, deathly Hunger Games. It is a reality show that is used as a reminder of how bad the days 'back then' were…



I really appreciated Katniss' devotion to Prim, and I even enjoyed her close-to-nil sense of humour and emotionlessness. And yes, this made her a rather hard character to identify with, but nevertheless, it gave her that *POW!* that proper heroines need.



My favourite characters were Peeta (*sigh*), Cinna (what a fashionista!) and sweet, darling Rue. I would like to know more about Gale though. Is he as swoon-worthy as Peeta (that was meant to be a funny joke.)?



Now, just to let you know, I cry about once a year due to a book. And this year the 'Made Lauren Cry Award' went to the Hunger Games. Even though Katniss can have as much emotion as a rock, a few tears slipped under my eyelids when I read about *that part* (for all people who have read this, you should know where).





I ran into a slight plot problem in the book though. I was wondering... Why would they change the rules to make it that there were two winners? Doesn't that just kill the effect of having one victor? And then why take that comment back, and then change the ruled back to the two winners thing? That baffled me. I thought that this made Katniss' situation waaaay too convenient. So, for those who have already read The Hunger Games... Why is this so? Is it because of the whole 'star-crossed lovers' things? It can't be, can it?





I recommend this book for almost entirely everyone. And I typed that word: almost, because it is quite gory at times. So if you chuck at the thought of blood, please, for your own sake, do not read this book. It could result in suicide. BUT for those with the stronger gag reflexes, I can 100% guarantee that you'll fall in love with this book. I swear an oath on it.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...